Saturday, April 02, 2005

Taking Away That Which He First Had Given Us

Pope John Paul II lying in state in Apostolic PalaceFrom the pages of Times Against Humanity . . .

These thoughts expressed to his mother by the 16th-century saint Aloysius Gonzaga on his approaching death are worth meditating upon, as we mourn the loss of our Holy Father, Pope John Paul II:

Not long will last that separation: there we shall see one another again and be happy without ever growing tired, united with our Redeemer, praising Him with all our strength, and singing forever His mercies. I do not at all doubt that, leaving aside all that the reasoning of human nature says, we shall easily open the door to faith and to that simple and pure obedience to which we are held by God, offering Him freely and promptly that which is His, and all the more willingly the dearer to you is the thing that He takes from you, believing firmly that which God does is all of it well done, taking away that which He first had given us, and for no other reason than to put it in a safe and sure place, and to give it what we all desire for ourselves.

I have said all this for no other reason than to satisfy the desire that I have that Your Most Illustrious Ladyship and all my family may receive this my departure as a dear gift, and that you may accompany and help me with your Mother's blessing to pass this gulf and reach the shore of all my hopes. I have done it with all the better will because I have nothing else left with which to give you some little proof of the love and filial reverence that I owe you. I end by asking once more very humbly for your blessing.