Monday, March 03, 2008

Catholic Discussion of Barack Obama: A Roundup

A survey of some recent online dicussion of Senator Barack Obama's candidacy among Catholics:


Obama Campaign online banner advertisement for the Houston Chronicle
-- buying into his own cult of personality?)

In addition, I found this recent piece interesting: Barack Obama and Me: It was the year 2000 and I was a young hungry reporter in Chicago covering a young hungry state legislator, by Todd Spivack (Houston Press February 28, 2008), if only because it reveals that, scratch the thin veneer of "change" and "unity", and you get a run-of-the-mill self-seeking manipulative politician like any other. It's only a question of time before the facade crumbles following election day (if and when he's voted into office). We can expect more scrutinizing pieces like this one as the mainstream press gets over its initial infatuation with the Senator from Illinois.

Last but not least, our colleague Jay Anderson (Pro Ecclesia) has been devoting numerous posts on his own blog to what makes Obama's candicacy (as well as John McCain's, in all fairness) problematic for the discerning Catholic voter. As Jay states:

although I think it is inaccurate to say that a Catholic voter may not vote for a pro-abortion/"pro-choice" candidate under any circumstances, I think it quite legitimate to say that a Catholic voter SHOULD NOT vote for such a candidate, and that one would have a very difficult obstacle to overcome in finding a "proportionate" and/or "morally grave" reason to justify such a vote.